Frequently Asked Questions
And answers that will hopefully help
does speed of sound offer services not mentioned on this website?
Absolutely! Most of these services are what might be referred to as "implied services," and can be generally grouped under one service category or another. Whether it's sound and lighting, studio work, repairs, or custom-related, we're passionate about music and audio. Here are a few things we can do that aren't explicitly listed, to give you an idea. Remember that this is by no means an exhaustive list.
In terms of sound and lighting:
- Configuring existing equipment.
- If you've already set up your own sound system but need some help getting it configured (room EQ, mixer configuration, etc.), we can absolutely help you with that. Even if you just want a professional to come in and train your sound tech on live mixing techniques to take your venue's show experience to the next level, we can absolutely do that.
- Running existing equipment.
- Have all the equipment you need set up and configured, and just need a tech to come in and run sound and lighting for your event? We can absolutely do that on an as-needed basis.
- Home Theater
- Speed of Sound understands that home theater is very popular and many people are looking for a stellar audio experience to go with their favorite TV or projector setup. While this is not our primary area of expertise, we are very familiar with home theater systems and can install a system in your home that will give you the best experience for your unique budget.
In terms of audio production:
- Do you already have a studio set up, or are you currently setting up your studio? Do you need someone to bounce ideas off of? Would you like somebody to help you record in your own studio? At Speed of Sound, we're happy to help in any way we can. This would be billed on a consultation or service-call basis. Production engineering services (our tech coming into your studio to man your recordings) could be billed at a flexible rate depending on the length of your project.
Please see the next section for important information regarding repairs.
I need something repaired but I'm not sure if speed of sound handles it.
First and foremost, you should always check to see if your equipment is still under warranty before seeking repair from any local technician. If your equipment is still under warranty and your warranty covers what you need, Speed of Sound highly recommends that you return it to the manufacturer or the warranty provider for repair or servicing. Taking your warrantied equipment to a local technician may void your warranty.
- As mentioned on our equipment repair page, the type of repairs we handle are largely situational. More than anything, Speed of Sound wants to get you back up and running as quickly as possible (we understand that time is money and downtime can be a money-sucking vacuum). If we're backed up on repairs and you need something sooner, or if it's something we're simply not able to fix given our tools and expertise, or something we genuinely feel that another company would be better equipped to handle, we'll be happy to refer you to someone who can help you.
- That said, here are a few things Speed of Sound can repair.
- In terms of instrument repair, Speed of Sound focuses primarily on the electronics inside your instrument. We do not repair damaged woodwork such as crack or break in your instrument. For woodwork repair (broken headstock, cracked neck, damaged finish, etc.) you may be better off taking your instrument to your local music store repair department or luthier.
- Speed of Sound can help repair almost any type of cable. If you'd like a custom cable or snake made, please visit our custom shop to learn more.
- Stereos and home theater systems
- From repairing your console to repairing or replacing your wiring, Speed of Sound can help.
- Car audio
- At this time, Speed of Sound does not service car audio and recommends taking your vehicle to a specialty shop.
- Speed of Sound understands computers are essential to studios, DJs, and many live setups. As such, we do offer computer repair services for PC systems.
- Speed of Sound does not service or repair Apple products in any way and recommends taking your Apple products to your local Apple store or authorized Apple repair technician for service.
- Other studio equipment
- Depending on what you need repaired in your studio, we may be able to repair it. However, if your product is under warranty, Speed of Sound highly recommends returning the product to the manufacturer for replacement or repair.
I want to record some music but I can't afford to pay in full right away.
- Hey, we get it. We've all been there, wanting to get our music recorded but lacking in the funds department. It's okay! Speed of Sound offers flexible pricing for your recordings. As a rule of thumb, "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to production. While we pride ourselves on offering professional-level audio production at a lower cost than a typical "professional studio", production still tends to be very time-consuming. So here's a quick rundown on pricing and payment options. For more detailed information regarding pricing for audio production, please refer to our shop policies.
- Speed of Sound tends to charge on a per-track or per-album basis, with variable pricing depending on how "radio ready" you want your finished work to be.
- Speed of Sound does offer a "payment plan" option, generally worked on a per-situation basis. As a rule of thumb, we do require a certain percentage of the cost to be paid up front. This percentage can be variable depending on your situation. To learn more, refer to our policy page or contact us.
I've already recorded all of my music. I just need somebody to mix and master it.
Sounds like you're already on your way! Speed of Sound would be happy to help! Whether you want somebody to mix and master in your studio or you'd like to send your tracks to us, we've got you covered! Here are a few quick points to take into consideration.
- For mixing and mastering handled in our studio, please bear in mind that our DAW software may not be the same as yours. And even if we are using the same DAW, compatibility may not always work perfectly if we are using different versions of that software.
- As a rule of thumb, we will ask for WAV files of your raw tracks. This will ensure
- On-site mixing and mastering will always be billed at our standard hourly rate.
- On-site mixing must be scheduled in advance, as we will need to be able to come to your location.
- Depending on your location, we may need to charge an additional service fee for coming out to where you are.
dOES SPEED OF SOUND DO CAR AUDIO?
At this point in time, Speed of Sound does not handle car audio. We would be happy to direct you to a company that can help, though.
Can other services or products be bundled with installation?
We understand that you may want more than just sound and lighting installed in your venue. In fact, our most requested items to be bundled with PA installation are projectors and TVs. Speed of Sound can help you find the best TV or projector setup to fit within your budget and get those installed for you.
Our second most requested service with installation is acoustic treatment for your space. Speed of Sound is happy to help develop and install a customized acoustic treatment plan for your space. Rates for acoustic treatment vary depending on the scale of the project.
Every installation project comes with 45 days of complimentary servicing. Please refer to our policies for what this entails.